The church was probably finished about 2009, and it replaced (if memory is correct) a smaller wooden building. The parish itself dates from 1952, when Archbishop Molloy split it from Curé of Ars, two miles south. In 1961, the Sisters of St. Joseph began to staff the parish school. From a building fund drive mentioned in the bulletin, it seems that the parish continues to pay off a construction debt.
The address for Sacred Heart School is 730 Merrick Avenue, Merrick NY 11566, telephone 516-378-5797. The school website is linked here. Sad to relate, the Bishop of Rockville Centre has decreed the closure of Sacred Heart school in June, 2012. Please see his announcement, linked here.
Regarding the prayer for peace in the photo below: A similar pole may be found at Immaculate Heart of Mary parish in Kensington, Brooklyn.